Our Veggie Fried Rice recipe is super versatile. Don’t have any zucchini? Sub out another veggie! No garlic scapes? Use two cloves of garlic instead! .. you get the idea 🙂
Veggie Fried Rice
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 4 cups cold water 1 (1-inch)
- piece ginger, peeled and sliced in ½
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ cup onion, diced 1 (1-inch)
- piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 garlic scapes
- 1 cup peas, chopped
- 2 carrots & their tops, finely chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- Kosher salt
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a pot with a tight fitting lid, add the rice and 4 cups cold water. Put in the ginger and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, pour in the sesame oil. Add the onions & ginger; stir-fry for 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in the rest of the veggies. Cook for about 2 minutes. Pour in the eggs and stir-fry until they are cooked.
- Remove the ginger from the rice and add the rice to the wok; stir everything together and break up any clumps of rice. Add the soy and hoisin and stir some more. Taste for seasoning and add some salt if needed. Stir in the cilantro leaves and serve.