Simple Baba Ganoush
Recipe type: Dip
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 1 medium or ¾ of a large eggplant
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- sea salt
- Optional: 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, parsley or basil, chopped
- Driftless Organics Sunflower Oil (or olive oil (for roasting))
- Preheat oven to high broil (or medium if you have the ability) and position a rack at the top of the oven.
- Slice your eggplant into ¼ inch rounds and sprinkle with sea salt and place in a colander in the sink to drain any excess liquid. After 10 minutes, rinse slightly and then pat dry between two towels.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Roast for 5-10 minutes, turning once or twice, until the eggplant is softened and golden brown. Remove from pan, stack and wrap the rounds in foil to lock in moisture – wait 5 minutes.
- Peel away most of the skin of the eggplant (a little is OK) and add flesh to a food processor. It should be soft and tender and the skin should come off easy.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, a pinch of salt and mix until creamy. Add herbs last and pulse to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added a bit more tahini and another pinch of salt.
- Serve with pita and/or pita chips and veggies. Will keep covered in the fridge for several days.