Chicken Tomatillo Chili with Roasted Sweet Peppers and Eggplant
Recipe type: Chili
- 1 eggplant, thickly sliced
- 2 red or yellow (or one of each) roaster peppers
- 8 tomatillos (husks removed)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2 Tbs. Driftless Sunflower Oil
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- To serve: Tortilla chips or strips (optional), sour cream and cilantro (optional)
- Roast sweet peppers and eggplant in the oven or grill until charred on the outside. When soft, remove from heat, let cool and remove skin of eggplant (and peppers, if you want). Cut into chunks.
- Make the flavor paste: Combine tomatillos and jalapeño in blender or food processor. Blend until thick and smooth -- about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Brown the chicken in a saute pan in oil.
- Make the chili: Add onion to Dutch oven and sauté until translucent -- about 3 minutes. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute, and then add the chicken, cumin, coriander, roasted veggies, broth, and flavor paste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
- To serve: Stir in cilantro, a dollop of sour cream and salt. Serve hot with tortilla chips, if desired.