Our Purple Viking Potato and Vivid Choy Soup is sure to warm up those cool spring nights!
Purple Viking Potato and Vivid Choy Soup
- 4 tablespoons Driftless Sunflower Oil (or olive oil)
- 2 pounds purple viking potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups water
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 4 green garlic stalks, minced (including about half of the bottom sections of the green)
- 1 bunch vivid choy, with butt ends cut off and bottom parts of the thicker stems removed; the remaining stems and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch of salad turnip greens, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup of your spinach, stems trimmed off and cut into ⅓” – wide slices.
- ½ bunch of garlic chives, minced
- Sour cream for dollopin’
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender and golden, about 8 minutes. Add potatoes; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add 8 cups water and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in another heavy large pot over medium heat. Add green garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add vivid choy and salad turnip greens; sauté until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add sautéed greens to potato mixture.
- Purée until smooth with a handheld blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Add dollop of sour cream to each bowl. Garnish soup with sliced spinach leaves and garlic chives.