Pasta with Roasted Beets, Beet Greens and Pine Nuts
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 bunch beets with greens
- ¼ cup pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
- 2 Tbsp. Driftless Sunflower oil (or olive oil)
- 1 cippolini onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon raspberry balsamic vinegar
- ½ ounces pasta (bow-tie or penne work the best)
- nutritional yeast or feta cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Roast beets tossed with oil and salt at 400F, reserving beet greens.
- Cut roasted beets into wedges.
- Wash beet greens well, and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain, reserving ½ cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onions and saute on low to medium-low until soft and golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. Add garlic and and stir 2 more minutes. Stir in beet greens along with raspberry balsamic vinegar. Cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Toss cooked pasta with onion/beet greens, and roasted beets. Add pasta cooking liquid to moisten if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Serve with nutritional yeast or feta cheese, if desired.