Pico de Gallo with Carrots and Sweet Peppers
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Salsa
Pico de gallo is a delicious type of salsa that can be added to fish tacos or burritos, or for dipping those chips into!
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped into ½” chunks (can include sungolds, cut in half)
- 1 cippolini onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into ½” chunks
- 1 roaster pepper (red or yellow), sliced into ½” strips
- 3 cloves garlic
- juice from 2 limes
- 2 tsp. Driftless Sunflower Oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tsp. sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 or 2 jalapenos, de veined and seeded, finely chopped
- 6 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
- Saute onion in the 1 Tbs. olive oil for 20 minutes until golden brown. Add the garlic saute for one minute more. Remove onion/garlic mixture to a bowl.
- Boil the carrots and peppers for 2 minutes. You want them to have a crunch so don’t overcook them. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process and cool them off.
- Combine the onion mixture , carrots, peppers, jalapeno, sunflower oil, lime juice, salt and sugar into a bowl and mix up. Let sit for 10 minutes to let flavors marry. Add cilantro before serving.