Gazpacho can be eaten as a soup or drank as a hearty beverage. Perfect for a hot summer day!
- 2.5 pounds ripe red tomatoes (about half your bag), cored and roughly cut into chunks
- 1 red roaster pepper, roughly cut into chunks
- ⅓ cup leek, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, more to taste
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine tomatoes, pepper, leek and garlic in a blender. Blend at high speed until very smooth, at least 2 minutes, pausing occasionally to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- With the motor running, add the vinegar and 2 teaspoons salt. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil. The mixture will turn bright orange or dark pink and become smooth and emulsified, like a salad dressing. If it still seems watery, drizzle in more olive oil until texture is creamy.
- Strain the mixture if you like, or leave as is if you like the texture. Chill until very cold, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Adjust the seasonings with salt and vinegar to taste. If soup is very thick, stir in a few tablespoons ice water.