Our Winter Squash Endive and Wild Rice Salad makes a great side on your Thanksgiving table.
Winter Squash Endive and Wild Rice Salad
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 ½ cups water or stock (chicken or vegetable)
- Salt to taste
- Your carnival squash, peeled and diced
- Your beauty heart radishes, diced
- 1 Leek, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (more to taste)
- 1 garlic clove, minced or puréed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs, like parsley, chives, tarragon
- 1 head of endive, ripped into small pieces
- Rinse the wild rice. Bring the water or stock to a boil in a medium saucepan, add salt to taste and the rice. Bring back to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes, until the rice is tender. Drain and return to the pot and cover the pot with a clean dishtowel. Return the lid to the pot and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the squash and beauty heart radishes on a baking sheet and toss with salt to taste, the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Spread on the baking sheet in an even layer. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through so that the squash browns evenly. The vegetables should be tender all the way through. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, salt to taste and mustard. Whisk in the remaining olive oil. Combine the wild rice, squash, radishes, endive, leeks and herbs in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing and serve.