Looking for a filling, hearty meal to warm up your cold winter night? Look no further! Our Root Veggie Pastries will keep you toasty and full.
Root Veggie Pastries
- — For the dough —
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cups boiling water
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- — For the filling —
- 3 pounds potatoes (your bag), chopped
- 1.5 pounds turnips (all of your turnips), chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds of your favorite ground meat
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, stir the 1 cup of butter and water until shortening is melted. Gradually stir in flour and salt until a very soft dough is formed; cover and refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours.
- Mix the chopped veggies, meat and seasonings together in a bowl. Divide dough into 6 equal portions.
- On a floured surface, roll out one portion at a time into a 10-in. circle. Mound about 2 cups filling on half of each circle; dot with 1 teaspoon butter. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on un-greased baking sheets. Cut several slits in top of pasties.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Any leftovers make a great meal the next day – delicious hot or cold!