A real springtime treat! This Warm Potato Salad with Ramps, Bacon and Mustard is the perfect way to welcome spring.
Warm Potato Salad with Ramps, Bacon and Mustard
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 5 strips bacon, about 100 grams, diced (optional)
- 8 ramps
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Driftless Organics sunflower oil (or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon your favorite mustard
- 2 ribs celery
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- Cut potatoes into 1-inch chunks and place in a medium sauce pot. Cover with cold water, add 1 teaspoon salt and place over a burner on high heat. Cook potatoes until tender, but not falling apart. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium heat and add bacon. Saute for about five minutes or until the bacon begins to crisp. While the bacon is cooking, chop the white parts of the green onion or ramp. Add to the bacon, stir well, and saute for a few more minutes. Remove bacon and onion from the pan and deglaze the pan with the vinegar. Use a spatula to scrape up all the bacon bits at the bottom of the pan. Add the sugar, oil, and mustard to the pan and mix to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine boiled potatoes, bacon and onions, and warm vinaigrette. Chop celery ribs finely and add to the bowl. Chop the dark green ends of the green onion and add them as well. Season the salad with cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper and mix gently, but thoroughly. Serve at once.