Sweet Potatoes w/Roasted Garlic & Melted Leeks
Author: Dani Lind
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium leeks
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ c. white wine
- ½ c. milk, half & half, or unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Poke a few holes in each sweet potato, place on a baking sheet (cover it w/ tinfoil or parchment for easy clean-up) & roast until soft, 35-45 minutes.
- Make a foil packet for garlic cloves, drizzle w/ olive oil, wrap up tight, & place on baking sheet w/ sweet potatoes – roast for 20-25 minutes, until golden, soft, & fragrant.
- Meanwhile, remove leaves from leeks & save for soup stock. Cut stem into ½” thick rings, soak in a bowl of water (to remove any grit), transfer to a colander, rinse, & drain.
- Heat butter in a non-stick or cast iron pan over medium heat & add drained leeks. Sprinkle w/ salt & pepper & saute until softened, turn down heat, & continue cooking. Any time they start to stick, add a bit of wine to deglaze the pan.
- Continue to cook, adding a bit of wine, until meltingly soft, about 25 minutes.
- When everything is cooked, remove skin from roasted sweet potatoes & whip them, by hand or in an electric mixer w/ paddle attachment, with roasted garlic/oil, leeks & any of their liquid, & milk. Adjust seasoning to taste & serve. Serves 4.