SPICY ROASTED TURNIPS, RUTABAGA & PARSNIPS
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 6 servings
- ¼ stick butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground ancho chiles *
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 large parsnips, cut into ½” chunks
- 2 turnips, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 rutabaga, trimmed, peeled, cut into ¾-inch wedges
- 1½ tablespoons Driftless Organics Sunflower Oil
- Course salt
- ** Look for ground ancho chiles in the spice section of
- many supermarkets or substitue chipotle, guajillo or
- chili powder. **
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stir ½ tablespoon melted butter, honey, lemon juice,
- garlic, thyme, ground chiles, cumin, cinnamon, and
- pinch of cayenne pepper in small bowl to blend.
- Season to taste with salt. Let glaze stand at least 15-30
- minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread parsnips, turnips, and rutabagas evenly on
- prepared baking sheet. Drizzle remaining 1½ tablespoons
- melted butter and oil over; sprinkle with salt
- and pepper and toss to coat well.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes, until vegetables are tender and slightly browned.
- Pour glaze over vegetables; toss to coat evenly. Roast
- until glaze is absorbed and vegetables are browned,
- tossing occasionally, about 15 minutes longer.