The perfect snack! Homemade Root Veggie Chips with Cilantro Crema…
Root Veggie Chips with Cilantro Crema
- For the Cilantro-Lime Crema:
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- minced jalapeno (optional)
- Combine ingredients and set aside.
- And now the Veggie Chips:
- Equal amounts of your sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets, carrots
- and potatoes (about 4 cups total once they’ve all been thinly
- sliced (no need to peel).
- If you have a mandolin - this is the time to use it. If you don’t: try
- your hardest to slice your veggies thinly, evenly and consistently sized.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Whisk together the oil, dried thyme, garlic powder, ground cumin and salt in a small bowl.
- Peel all of the root vegetables and use a mandoline slicer to slice them ⅛-inch thick. (You can also slice them thinly using a sharp knife.)
- Toss the chips with the spice mixture and the oil in a mixing bowl, making sure to evenly coat (add more oil if needed).
- Spread the mixture on a cookie sheet (or two) lined with parchment paper, trying your best to make sure the slices do not overlap.
- Place the baking sheet(s) in the oven and bake the roots until golden-brown and crispy. Check on them every few minutes once they have been baking for 20 minutes; remove any chips that are brown and crisp and return the rest to the oven until they’re all done baking.
- Serve fresh out of the oven with the Cilantro Crema Sauce.