Roasted Vegetable and Kale Salad with Honey Vinaigrette
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Salad
- For the Salad
- 1 bunch of red kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 2-3 red beets, cut roughly into 1” pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red shallot, sliced into wedges
- 2 scarlet turnips, cut roughly into 1” pieces
- 1 medium fennel bulb (remove stems and fronds), sliced into wedges
- 1-2 roaster peppers, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons Driftless Sunflower Oil (or olive oil)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ¾ teaspoons salt several grinds of fresh ground pepper
- 2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Driftless
- ½ teaspoon salt
- several grinds of pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss vegetables with the oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl, and place on one or two large baking sheets. (If you use two, put the beets and red onion together so that the beets don’t “bleed” purple all over the rest of the veggies.)
- Roast for about 40 minutes or so, turning once (and rotating baking sheets from top to bottom if you’re using two), until tender with crispy golden edges. Ten minutes before you pull the veggies out of the oven, sprinkle the walnuts on the baking sheet with the veggies to toast them.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, honey, and Dijon mustard.
- Toss kale with 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing in a large bowl. Let the kale sit in the dressing for 5-10 minutes before assembling the salad.
- Place kale on the salad plates. After the vegetables have cooled for 5-10 minutes, using the same large bowl used for the kale, toss the veggies and walnuts with 2-3 tablespoons (or more) of the dressing.
- Top the kale with the veggies and walnuts, and top with crumbled goat cheese. Serve with the dressing on the side.