Greens, Beans & Carmelized Onions
Recipe type: Side Dish
(altered from Claudia Roden’s ‘Arabesque”)
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- ⅓ c. Driftless sunflower oil or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound fresh greens (arugula, spinach, chard or beet greens (with stems removed), etc.), coarsely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 14 oz. can of black eyed peas or garbanzo beans
- juice of ¼ lemon
- Saute the onion in 2 Tbsp. of the oil over medium heat, stirring often, until caramelized (about 20 minutes or so).
- In a large saucepan, heat garlic in 2 Tbsp. oil.
- Immediately add the greens, put on the lid, & cook for a minute or two until the greens are wilted. Add salt & pepper.
- Stir in the beans & caramelized onions. Add the lemon juice & cook another minute. Add 2 more Tbsp. oil serve or cool & serve cold.