Winter Vegetable Fried Rice
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 cippolini onion, minced
- 1 carrot, cut into small dice
- 1 parsnip, cut into small dice
- ½ beauty heart radish, cut into small dice
- 1 Tbsp. each garlic & ginger, minced
- 2 cups kale, de-ribbed & finely chopped
- 3+ Tbsp. peanut or sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. tamari/soy sauce
- ½ tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder (optional)
- Heat oil in a large cast iron pan or wok over medium-high heat & add onions, carrots, parsnips, & radish.
- Stir fry until starting to brown, then add garlic, ginger, & kale.
- Stir for another minute, then add rice, a bit of salt, & pepper.
- Stir fry until rice is hot & just starting to brown.
- Lower heat a bit & make a well in the middle.
- Add the egg & season with salt & pepper. Stir until egg just starts to set & then stir & scrape it into the rest of the stirfry until cooked.
- Add soy sauce & 5-spice & serve.
- Garnish with chopped roasted peanuts & cilantro, if desired.
- Add cooked chicken, pork, or tofu if you wish.