This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole (vegan)
Author: Fat Free Vegan blog
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon fine grain salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup Earth Balance
- ½ cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
- ⅓ cup white or spelt flour (or gluten-free)
- ¾ cups chopped pecans (I didn’t have- optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish with canola oil. I wipe a bit on with a paper towel.
- Peel and then boil sweet potatoes until tender.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with the margarine until smooth.
- Add the vanilla, maple syrup, sea salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Pour into casserole dish.
- Mix the topping ingredients together until well-combined.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over the casserole and bake for approx. 50 minutes, checking it every so often.