Sweet Potato Chili
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 Tbsp. Driftless sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped (can be frozen)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (can be frozen)
- 1 tsp. each cumin & coriander seed
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp. each ground cloves & mace or cinnamon
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled & cubed
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans with liquid
- 1 can (15 oz.) red, kidney, or pinto beans
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced or crushed tomatoes with liquid OR 2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water, tomato juice, or chicken broth
- Sour cream & cilantro for garnish
- In soup pot, heat oil & add onions.
- Saute until golden & add jalapenos & garlic.
- Saute for a couple minutes & add red/green peppers & spices.
- Saute for another few minutes & add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil & reduce heat.
- Simmer at least until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid scorching. Add more liquid if it gets too thick.
- Serve with sour cream & cilantro.