This Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadilla is the perfect pick me up on a cold wintry day. It will have you picking up those maracas and singing “We’re having a heat-wave”.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced thinly
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup finely sliced cabbage
- 8 whole small Flour Tortillas
- 2-1/2 cups grated cheese of choice
- Your Favorite Toppings: Sour cream, salsa, avocado
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add sweet potatoes, onion and garlic.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Cook for several minutes, turning gently with a spatula, until potatoes are golden brown and tender, but not mushy.
- Add the black beans and stir.
- In a separate skillet, melt additional butter and lightly brown both sides of the tortillas.
- Build the quesadillas by adding a layer of cheese topped with a layer of the squash mixture, sprinkled with raw cabbage.
- Top it off with a second tortilla.
- Brown each quesadilla on both sides, adding more butter to the pan if necessary.
- When the cheese is melted, remove each quesadilla from the skillet and cut it into four wedges.
- Serve with your favorite sides/toppings.