Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Soup
- 3 Tbsp. butter or Driftless sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-4 ribs celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh ginger, minced (optional)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 1 quart veggie or chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream (optional)
- ½ cup orange juice or apple cider (optional)
- ½ – 1 tsp. 5 spice powder or garam masala (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottomed soup pot, heat butter/oil & sauté onions & celery for 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic & ginger (if using) & stir for a couple minutes.
- Add cubed squash & stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer until squash is soft, about 20-30 minutes.
- Puree until smooth. Add cream/juice/cider if you wish & whatever seasonings you care to add, tasting as you go.
- Return to a simmer & serve.