Squash and Kale Soup
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Soup
- 4 strips bacon, 4 ounces, cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ pound kale, thick stems removed, leaves finely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 4 cups Acorn/Green Kabocha Squash Puree (bake until soft, scoop out from skin and mash with fork)
- Salt and pepper
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper-towellined plate; set aside.
- Add onion to fat in pan, and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add kale; cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add squash puree and 3 cups water (or more if necessary to achieve desired consistency); bring just to a boil.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Serve, garnished with reserved bacon.