Spicy Southwest Red Cabbage Salad
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Salad
- 1 medium or ½ large head of red cabbage, cored & shredded
- ½ red onion, very thinly julienned
- 2 carrots, grated or very thinly julienned
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, fresh, frozen, or pickled, minced
- ½ red sweet pepper (can be frozen), chopped
- 1 Tbsp.Driftless sunflower oil
- ½ tsp. each ground coriander & cumin
- ¼ tsp. chipotle powder or hot paprika (or ⅛th tsp. cayenne)
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- Juice & zest from 1 lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler. Combine cabbage, red onion, & carrots in a large bowl.
- Toss sweet corn, garlic, jalapeno, & red pepper in oil. Season with salt & pepper & spread on a baking sheet.
- Place under broiler for a few minutes, watching carefully & stirring once, until starting to brown.
- Let cool. Combine spices, mayo, & lime juice/ zest with a whisk in a small bowl.
- Toss dressing & cooled roasted corn mix into cabbage & adjust seasoning as necessary. Excellent accompaniment to fish tacos!