Spicy Roasted Carrot & Pear Soup
Author: Dani Lind
- 6 cups diced carrots
- Oil, salt, & pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-3 fresh hot red chiles (stemmed, seeded, & chopped), OR 1-3 tsp. dried chile flakes, or ¼-1 tsp. cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 large pears, diced
- 1 quart veggie, chicken (or turkey!) stock or water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cream, half & half, condensed milk, or crème fraiche (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss carrots with about 1 Tbsp. of oil, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet, & sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Roast, turning them once or twice, until starting to brown, about 20-30 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before carrots are done, heat another Tbsp. of oil in a heavy bottomed soup pot. Add onions & sauté until golden. Add garlic & chiles & sauté another minute or so so.
- Add pears, stock/water & carrots as soon as they have started to brown in the oven. Simmer until pears & carrots are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Puree well with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor/blender & return to pot. Add cream if using, return to a simmer, adjust seasoning as desired, & serve.