Filling for Stuffed Peppers & Summer Squash
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 c. raw quinoa, cooked (1c.quinoa to 2c. water, apr. 15 minutes)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 c. parsnips or carrots, diced
- 1 c. celery, diced
- 1 c. corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbsp. Driftless Sunflower oil or olive oil
- 2 tsp. each coriander & cumin seed
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes or ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp each salt & pepper
- 2 c. cheddar or jack cheese, shredded
- Peppers: Cut in half length wise & remove seeds.
- Brush with oil, place cut side down on oiled baking pan
- Roast at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, until softened but not collapsed.
- Squash:Cut in half lengthwise & remove seeds with a spoon to create a long cavity. Place cut side down on oiled pan
- Roast at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until softened but not mushy.
- Saute onion & spices in oil for a few minutes.
- Add garlic, vegetables, salt, & pepper.
- Cover & cook for 6-8 minutes, until veggies are just tender.
- Combine cooked veggies & quinoa & use to fill prepared peppers or summer squash. Sprinkle with cheese & bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees.