Southwest Winter Slaw
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Salad
This is an excellent root vegetable slaw. However, if it's early summer and you don't have turnips yet but do have salad turnips, that could be a fun addition! Salad turnips will add a slightly sweet element to the slaw.
- 4 cups mixed root vegetables, grated (such as beets, peeled celeriac, turnips, peeled rutabaga, carrots, etc.)
- juice & zest of ½ lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. grainy mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- ¼ tsp. dried marjoram
- ⅛ tsp. chipotle powder
- ½ tsp. cumin seed, toasted
- ½ c. oil (I like Driftless sunflower oil, of course!)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice/peel, egg yolk, vinegar, mustard, honey, & spices.
- While whisking briskly, add oil in a slow stream until emulsified.
- Fold vegetables in to dressing, season to taste, & serve.