Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 6 c. mixed greens, coarsely chopped (kohlrabi, radish, turnip, mustard, collard greens, kale, etc.)
- ½ onions, finely chopped &/or garlic, minced (green garlic & green onions work great!)
- 1 Tbsp. canola or safflower oil
- 1 c. chicken/veggie broth or water
- Part of a ham hock, smoked turkey leg, or cured ham,OR 2 strips bacon, chopped OR liquid smoke + 2 Tbsp. butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In large pot, sauté onions/garlic (& bacon, if using) in oil for 2 minutes.
- Add broth/water & slowly add greens until wilted.
- Add salt & pepper, ham/turkey if using, cover, & reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take out meat if used, remove from bone, chop, & return to pot; otherwise add butter & liquid smoke.
- Save liquid for soup.
- Serve up greens with Southern fare like sweet potatoes, black eyed peas, & corn bread.