Smashed Rutabagas with Ginger-Roasted Pears
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2 pounds rutabagas, peeled, cut into ¾- to 1-inch cubes
- 1½ Tbsp. Drfitless sunflower oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 firm Anjou pears (about 1 lb), peeled, cored, cut into ¾- inch cubes
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2½ Tbsp. butter
- ½ Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Coarse kosher salt
- Cook rutabagas in pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine oil, lemon juice, ginger, and sugar in large bowl.
- Add pears; toss to coat. Spread on prepared sheet.
- Roast until tender, turning pears every 10 minutes, about 25 minutes total.
- Drain rutabagas; return to same pot.
- Mash to coarse puree.
- Stir over medium heat until excess moisture evaporates, 5 minutes.
- Add cream, butter, and thyme.
- Mix in pears and any juices from baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper.