Savory Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1” piece of ginger
- 1 tsp. whole coriander seeds
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potato (apr. 1 lb.), peeled or unpeeled
- 4 eggs
- ¼ c. all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 Tbsp. Driftless Sunflower or olive oil
- 1½ Tbsp. salt
- black pepper to taste
- freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- ¼ c. additional oil for frying
- Preferably in a food processor, mince garlic & ginger with coriander seed.
- Add quartered onion & pulse until onion is minced.
- Take out chopping blade & insert grating attachment. Grate sweet potatoes into processor bowl with the onion mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, flour, oil, salt, pepper, & nutmeg.
- Stir in sweet potato mixture until well mixed.
- Heat about 1 Tbsp. oil in a cast iron or non-stick pan until a drop of water sizzles when flicked into pan.
- Reduce heat to medium. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of batter into pan for each pancake.
- Fry about 2 minutes on each side, until nicely browned & crispy.
- Drain onto a paper towel lined platter (you can keep them warm in a 250 degree oven while you make the rest if you wish) & repeat process until all the batter is gone, adding a bit of oil to the pan before each batch.
- I like to serve with creme fraiche & apple chutney. Makes approximately 15 pancakes.