Root Veggie Gratin with Horseradish Crust
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2 ½ lbs. mixed root vegetables (rutabaga, turnip, parsnip, sweet potato, etc.)
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- ½ cup rye bread crumbs
- 2 cups whole milk, heated
- 1-2 Tbsp.Driftless sunflower oil
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ⅓ cup apple cider or wine
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread vegetables & garlic in large baking dish, drizzle with oil & cider or wine
- Season to taste with salt & pepper, & toss well.
- Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil & bake 20 minutes
- Remove foil & continue to roast until vegetables are brown-tipped & tender 20-25 min. Meanwhile, start make a white sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan
- Stir in flour & cook over low heat several minutes.
- Whisk in milk, bring to simmer, & cook gently 10 minutes,stirring often.
- Season with salt, pepper, & nutmeg.
- Gently fold the sauce into the roasted vegetables.
- Mix horseradish, cheddar, & bread crumbs with your fingers
- Scatter the mixture evenly over the vegetables.
- Continue to bake until bubbly, 20- 30 minutes.