Roasted Tomato Pasta/Pizza Sauce
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Sauce
- 6-8 tomatoes, preferably romas
- 3 Tbsp. Driftless sunflower oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ - 1 hot banana pepper, seeds removed, minced
- Fresh/dried herbs to taste: rosemary, oregano, thyme, etc.
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise & use your fingers to scoop out seeds & liquid.
- Place tomatoes cut side up on a cookie sheet, drizzle with a bit of oil, salt, & pepper & roast for 30-40 minutes, until tops are starting to brown (if you have a convection oven, it will speed this process up a bit).
- Let cool a bit & puree in a food processor.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a heavy bottomed pan & sauté onions until translucent. Add fennel seeds, garlic, & banana peppers & stir for a couple minutes.
- Add herbs of choice, pureed tomatoes, sugar, & more salt & pepper to taste.
- Simmer until sauce reaches your desired consistency – it may be ready for pasta at this point but you may want to simmer it for a while for a drier pizza sauce.
- Makes about 3 cups.