Roasted Sweet Potato Bisque with Blue Cheese Croutons
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1” chunks 1 Tbsp. olive or Driftless sunflower oil
- ⅛ – ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 6 c. chicken or vegetable stock 1 c. half & half
- Freshly grated pepper & nutmeg
- 1 c. stale French bread, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. olive or Driftless sunflower oil 1⁄4 c. crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss sweet potatoes with oil, salt, & cayenne & spread on a baking sheet (line with parchment or tinfoil for easy clean up) & roast for 40- 45 minutes, until soft & caramelizing on the edges (use convection if you’ve got it, but it won’t take as long).
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a heavy-bottomed soup pot & sauté onions until translucent.
- Add garlic & thyme & sauté until golden. Add roasted sweet potatoes & stock & bring to a boil. Lower heat & simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat & puree soup with an immersion blender or food processor in batches until smooth.
- Return to low heat, add half & half, stirring frequently, until it returns to a gentle simmer – do not allow it to boil.
- Add freshly grated pepper & nutmeg to taste, cover & keep warm while you make croutons.
- Heat oil in a skillet & add cubed bread. Stir until starting to brown. Turn off heat & sprinkle with blue cheese. Cover for a minute to melt cheese. Ladle soup into bowls & carefully place some hot cheesy croutons on top.