Roasted Squash with Collards
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 Heart of Gold squash
- ½ minced yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp butter (for carmelizing the onion)
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp grapeseed (or other high-heat) oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large bunch of kale, chopped
- 1 bunch of collard greens, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Peel the squash and then cut in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Cut the squash into chunks.
- Mix the squash with the balsamic vinegar, oil, and salt.
- Roast the squash for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion in the butter over low heat, stirring regularly.
- Your goal is to caramelize the onions and get them slightly crispy.
- Remove the onion with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Remove the squash from the oven when tender and set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté the garlic for 2 minutes, or until very fragrant. Add the kale and collards in small batches, stirring constantly, until the kale and collards have started to wilt and turn bright green.
- Add squash to the kale, mix, and serve, topped with the caramelized onion.