GOOD STUFF TO KNOW ABOUT CARROTS
Carrots, as a root vegetable, soak up a lot of minerals like potassium & calcium from deep in the soil. They are also the best natural source of beta carotene (which your body converts to vitamin A – almost 700% of your RDA of it in one serving of raw carrots!!!).
Carrots will store for a surprisingly long time in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator. Keep them in a plastic bag to ensure crispness.
Cooking & Eating Tips
- Grate and add to stir fries and fried rice dishes (think fried rice with lots of carrots, daikon and cabbage).
- Grate and add to muffins or carrot cake.
- Grate on top of granola or muesli in the morning (trust us – it’s good!).
- Soups like ginger carrot or curried carrot-sweet potato (see recipe to the left) are great way warm up on a cold winter night.
- Bake peanut-butter-carrot cookies (see recipe to the left).
- Make a classic carrot-raisin salad.
- Make a carrot “raita”–plain yogurt, mint, spices to serve with Indian dishes.
- Add to veggie sushi. Carrot + avocado.
- Brown sugar-glazed carrots.
- Add them to banana bread.
- Make carrot pickles (see recipe)
- Steam them, and mash them into mashed german butterball potatoes.
- Roast them with salt, pepper, rosemary, mash them and add to a homemade pasta sauce.
- Juice them with apples and limes.