Pickled Beauty Heart Radishes
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Pickles
- 2 lb. beauty heart radishes ((or mix of beauty hearts, Spanish radishes, & carrots or even turnips), cut into ⅛ inch julienne
- 1 ½ c. white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ c. water
- ¾ c. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 3 whole star anise
- 6 cardamom pods
- 9 whole black peppercorns
- 1 ½ tsp. whole coriander seed
- ¾ tsp. hot red pepper flakes
- Sterilize 3 pint-size canning jars & lids.
- In a medium saucepan, bring vinegar, water, sugar, salt, & ginger to a boil.
- Add julienned radishes & stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat & pack into sterilized jars with evenly distributed spices.
- Fill with pickling liquid to within a ½ inch of rim, wipe rim, & apply lids tightly.
- Place in refrigerator for up to a few months (wait a couple days to try them) OR can: process in a boiling water bath or steam canner for 10 minutes.