Parsnip & Potato Mash
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 to 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes and parsnips in a large pot, cover with water, and add 1 tablespoon salt.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are very tender.
- Drain, return to pot, and mash until almost smooth (or leave slightly chunky, if you prefer).
- Heat milk with 6 tablespoons of butter until scalding and then add in slowly, mashing or stirring into potatoes until smooth.
- Season with pepper. Dot with remaining butter,if desired.