This Organic Tomato Pepper Soup is perfect for those late summer nights. Need some of Driftless Organic’s famous Sunflower Oil? Check it out here and we can deliver it with your next CSA box!
- 3 Tbsp. Driftless Sunflower Oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seed, crushed (optional)
- 3 medium sweet red or orange peppers, coarsely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 medium tomatoes, paste type or other red, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ cup coarsely chopped basil
- ¼ c. cream, half & half, crème fraiche, or condensed milk (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed stock pot & saute onion until translucent.
- Add fennel seed & peppers & sauté another few minutes.
- Add garlic & sauté until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes & their juice & wine, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add basil, cook another minute & puree.
- Add cream, salt & pepper, return to simmer & serve (add a bit of water if it’s too thick).
Check out other great recipes from Driftless Organics.
Driftless Organics CSA farm delivers CSA boxes full of wholesome, fresh & organic produce to the Twin Cities, Madison and locally to Viroqua, LaCrosse & Prairie du Chein. Click HERE for more information.