Looking for a new twist on eggplant?? Check out our Organic Eggplant and Green Kale Bake – a wholesome dinner the whole family will love!
Eggplant and Green Kale Bake
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 eggplant, sliced crosswise in ½ inch slices
- Driftless Organics Sunflower Oil (or olive oil)
- salt, pepper
- 1 bunch of green kale, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 cups of tomato sauce
- 1 cup riccota cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (or Fontina)
- Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil. Place them in a single layer on an oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees until tender, turning them over once. This will take 20-30 minutes in total.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Drop in the kale and simmer for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain well. Cool. Press out any remaining water.
- Combine the fresh cheese, kale, egg, Parmesan cheese, oregano and basil until well mixed.
- In an 8 inch square baking pan, spread ½ cup tomato sauce. Place slices of eggplant over to cover. Top with ½ of the kale cheese mixture. Spoon ½ - ¾ cup of the tomato sauce over. Repeat layers. Top with a final layer of eggplant slices and the remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with the grated Monterey Jack cheese.