This Nettle Omelette Recipe makes an amazing breakfast for two! Don’t have nettles? You can sub out spinach.
- 3 packed cups trimmed and washed nettle leaves (see notes above about the necessary precautions for handling fresh nettles)
- ½ your bunch spring onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or Driftless Organics sunflower oil
- ¼ cup grated organic Parmesan
- 4 eggs
- Salt & black pepper
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add nettle leaves and a pinch or two of salt. Use tongs to toss nettles in the oil. Cover the pan, turn the flame to low and continue to cook nettles for a few minutes until the leaves are wilted and tender.
- Roughly chop the nettles once they are cool enough to handle.
- Set a small to medium cast iron pan over medium heat to preheat. In the meantime, whisk eggs vigorously in a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt, a few grinds of black pepper, and a tiny splash of tap water.
- Place ½ tablespoon butter in the hot pan. Swirl it around to coat all sides and add the whisked eggs. Tilt the pan so the eggs evenly coat the bottom of the pan. Once the eggs start to form bubbles throughout cover and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the top is almost cooked.
- Add the nettles, onions and cheese. Slide the omelette from the pan onto a plate, letting it fold onto itself.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!