This Mustard Marinated Cucumber and Wax Bean salad isn’t your average salad – it’s a fun salad to make and eat!
Mustard Marinated Cucumber and Wax Bean Salad
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 6 ounces yellow wax beans
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons cider vinegar (or use white wine vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- First make the marinade by whisking together the vinegar, sugar, mustard, pepper. Don’t add all the sugar at once: taste it first. We don’t like it too acidic, so adjust to your taste.
- Top the washed beans, keep whole, and parboil for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Rinse under cold water.
- Slice the beans along their lengths. With a potato peeler, peel ribbons from the cucumber, on all sides, until you reach the inside seeds. Discard the center seed part.
- Mix the vegetables plus the chopped onion in a bowl, and add the marinade and salt.
- Leave for 10 – 30 minutes, turning a few times.
- Lift the salad out of the marinade (the cucumber will have shed some water too), and leave in a fresh bowl and allow most of the marinade to be absorbed.
- Pile on a plate, sprinkle with coarse black pepper and enjoy!