Kale & Squash Gratin
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 Butternut squash, peeled, halved crosswise and seeded
- 7 cloves Garlic
- ½ tsp. Driftless sunflower oil or olive oil
- Lacinato Kale, large stems removed
- 1 tsp. Butter
- Salt & Pepper
- ½ tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 2-1/2 tsp. chopped Fresh Thyme, or 1-1/2 tsp. Dried Thyme Leaves
- 1½ cups Cream
- 3 tbsp. Bread Crumbs
- ⅔ cup Grated Parmesan
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Cut peeled squash lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices; set aside.
- Butter a 2-1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, chopped garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the kale (roughly chopped) and rub the olive oil mixture aggressively into the leaves. Distribute half the sliced squash in the dish and sprinkle with ⅓ of the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the kale mixture over squash and sprinkle with ⅓ of the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Arrange remaining squash over kale mixture and sprinkle with remaining
- nutmeg, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Distribute remaining garlic over squash, tucking it between slices.
- Pour cream over assembled gratin and cover with foil.
- Bake until squash is soft when pierced with the tip of a knife, 40 minutes; halfway through baking time, remove foil, press down on squash with a spatula to compress and distribute the liquid, cover and continue baking.
- Meanwhile combine bread crumbs and parmesan.
- After the 40 minutes, reduce oven temp. to 375° and sprinkle the bread crumbs and parmesan over the squash, return to oven and continue to bake, uncovered
- until golden brown.
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving.