Japanese Quick Pickles
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Condiments
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise
- top half of a daikon radish, quartered lengthwise
- 1 bunch French breakfast radishes, halved lengthwise
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine)
- ⅓ c. rice vinegar
- 4 tsp. sugar
- Find a medium bowl that a plate fits into.
- Toss vegetables with the salt in the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap & top with the plate with a quart jar of water on top to weight the vegetables down.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 6 hours.
- Drain vegetables into a colander (don’t rinse) & place in a zip-lock bag with the mirin, vinegar, & sugar.
- Seal, shake up, & let sit for several hours at room temperature & shake a couple more times.
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving as is, or sliced thinly crosswise.
- Keeps 5 days or so.