Homemade Hot Sauce
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Sauce
- 5-6 hot peppers, stems removed (remove seeds too if you want a milder hot sauce – use gloves!!)
- 1-2 colored sweet peppers, quartered, seeds & stem removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sugar or honey
- Salt & pepper
- Combine hot peppers, sweet pepper(s), & garlic in a food processor & pulse to mince finely (not puree).
- Carefully place minced peppers/garlic in a small, heavy bottomed, non-reactive (stainless steel, glass, or enamel) sauce pan & just cover with apple cider vinegar.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat to medium, & simmer for a about 20 minutes.
- When peppers are very soft, add a bit of sugar or honey & a pinch of salt & pepper. Carefully taste (it will be hot!) & adjust seasonings.
- Bring back to a boil & pack in a clean canning jar.
- Use chunky (my favorite way) or puree & strain into a bottle for a liquid sauce.
- Keeps in the fridge for a very long time.