Greens with Ginger
Author: Dani Lind
This dish can be served over rice or as a side to other Indian dishes, especially mild curries
- 3 Tbsp. Driftless Sunflower oil or safflower oil
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, sliced thinly, then chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fresh hot green chili peppers, chopped OR 1 Tbsp. crushed hot red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. garam masala (Indian spice mixture available at any food co-op)
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stem removed & chopped coarsely
- Put oil in a wok or large sauce pan over high heat.
- Add ginger & stir until ginger starts to brown.
- Add garlic, kale, & chilis or pepper flakes.
- Stir, cover, & cook until kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, garam masala, sugar, & cayenne & cook for a couple of minutes.