Fried Rice with Napa Cabbage and Greens
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 4 tablespoons high-heat oil (peanut, sesame, safflower, etc.)
- 3 Tbsp. garlic scapes, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped, white & green parts separated
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- ½ small head napa cabbage, core removed & finely sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 c. finely sliced cooking greens (such as kohlrabi leaves, kale, collards, etc.)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- pinch of 5 spice powder (optional)
- ½ cup chopped peanuts or cashews
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok or a large nonstick/cast iron skillet over medium high flame.
- When hot, add the garlic scapes, white parts of green onions, & ginger & stir-fry for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the cabbage and stir-fry until the cabbage is wilted and soft, about 5 minutes, then add cooking greens & stir fry for another couple of minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Remove the vegetables to a serving bowl & wipe out the pan with a paper towel.
- Put the pan back on the stove & heat with remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- When hot, crack eggs into the center. Scramble lightly, then let it set without stirring so it stays in big pieces.
- Fold in the rice & toss with the egg until well combined, breaking up the rice clumps with the back of a spatula.
- Return the stir-fried vegetables to the pan & season with soy sauce, & more salt, pepper, 5 spice powder (if desired).
- Toss everything together to heat through. Garnish with reserved scallion greens & peanuts.