Deep Dish Fennel Rutabaga Gratin
Author: Dani Lind
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large or 2 medium rutabagas, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, sliced
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 2-qt. baking dish with oil.
- Combine cheese, flour, sage, salt, and pepper in bowl.
- Layer half of rutabaga, potato, onion, and fennel in prepared baking dish. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and sprinkle with half of cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining vegetables; season with salt and pepper, if desired; and pour milk over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture.
- Bake 1 hour, or until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are tender. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.