Crunchy Summer Salad
Author: Dani Lind
- 1 large cucumber, peeled lengthwise into stripes & seeds scraped out
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut in half lengthwise & cored
- 2 cups snow peas, stems snapped off
- 1 bulb kohlrabi, peeled & cut in half
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar or lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic scape, minced
- 3 Tbsp. olive or Driftless sunflower oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a small stock pot filled with salted water to a boil.
- Cut cucumbers crosswise into ¼” slices & place in a mixing bowl.
- Cut fennel crosswise into ¼“ slices as well & place in a small bowl.
- Cut kohlrabi into ⅛” slices.
- Have a colander & bowl of ice water ready.
- Pour the fennel slices in the boiling water & blanch them for about 30 seconds & remove with a slotted spoon to the ice water. Repeat with the snow peas. Repeat with the kohlrabi.
- Let them all cool for a couple minutes & drain when totally cooled.
- Pour into mixing bowl with the cucumber.
- In a small bowl whisk together vinegar or juice & honey. Add cilantro, scallions, & garlic & slowly pour in oil while whisking vigorously to emulsify.
- Season to taste & toss in vegetables. Serve immediately or keep in fridge for a couple days.