Cucumber and Lemon Balm Salad
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Salad
- 2 cucumbers (thin strips of skin peeled lengthwise in stripes if you wish), sliced in half lengthwise & seeds removed
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ fresh onion, thinly sliced
- ½ -1 banana pepper, seeds removed & thinly sliced or minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Driftless sunflower oil or olive oil
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice & zest
- 1 tsp. honey
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon balm, cut into chiffonade
- Cut cucumbers on the bias into ¼” slices & place in a colander in the sink.
- Sprinkle with salt & toss & let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk garlic, oil, vinegar, & honey together in a serving bowl.
- Add onions & banana peppers. Press cucumbers dry with a paper towel & toss with everything in the bowl.
- Taste & season with salt & pepper.
- Garnish with lemon balm & serve with crusty bread.