Creamy Parsnip Soup
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 lbs parsnips (amount in your box), cut into 1” pieces
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ c. heavy cream (optional)
- ⅛ tsp. allspice
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 pieces of bacon, cooked, drained, & chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place parsnips in single layer on rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast until brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion & sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic & parsnips & sauté 5 minutes.
- Add stock & boil until parsnips are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream, if desired, & remove from heat.
- Puree soup in blender (in batches) or with an immersion blender.
- Return to saucepan.
- Stir in allspice & nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to simmer.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Top with bacon , if desired, & serve.