Coconut Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
Author: Dani Lind
- 2 Tbsp. Driftless Sunflower Oil (or olive oil)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. finely minced ginger
- 1 or 2 medium large sweet potato, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 kale top, coarsely chopped
- heaping Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4½ cups of chicken stock, veggie stock, or water
- 1 can of coconut milk
- In a medium-large pot, heat oil over medium high.
- Saute onion until nearly translucent. Add garlic and ginger, and cook for another minute, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Add spices, salt, brown sugar, and sweet potatoes.
- Cook additional minute, stirring frequently.
- Add water, cover, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until sweet potatoes are nearly fork tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Add kale and coconut milk and cook a remaining 5-10 minutes, or until kale is tender.
- Serve with a side of brown rice, if desired.