Chicken in Chile Verde
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs, skinless if you like
- 1 Tbsp. Driftless sunflower oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeno chiles, seeds removed if you wish, chopped
- 1 small poblano chile, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 pounds of husked tomatillos, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chicken stock
- juice and zest of 2 limes
- ¼ c. cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse chicken thighs, pat dry with a paper towel, & season with salt & pepper.
- Set aside. In a medium/large sauté pan, heat oil.
- Add onion &coriander seeds & sauté for a minute or two.
- Add garlic & chiles & sauté for another minute.
- Add tomatillos & sauté for another couple minutes.
- Add chicken stock, lime juice, & zest & cook for a couple minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor or blender & return to the pan. Bring to a boil & add chicken thighs.
- Reduce to medium heat & maintain a simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until chicken is tender & juice runs clear when pierced with a knife in the center.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste & sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with sour cream, rice, roasted vegetables, & tortillas